This past summer, our family had a blast building a cabin-inspired backyard coop together. Our toddler was tickled pink by our little hens and even more so by the cabin coop. He asked often where HIS house was. Fast forward to just before his third birthday, when IT Dad and I decide we should build him a bed he couldn't possibly resist, and it wasn't long until "cabin bed" graced my search engine.
When I saw this Cabin Bed from RH Baby and Child, I knew it was just what he needed to inspire more independent sleep. Unfortunately, I was not in love with the steep price tag. Luckily, I was not the first parent with a flare for the DIY to feel the same. We used a combination of this plan from Jen Woodhouse and this one from Ana White.
It's all fun and Games in the beginning
On Thanksgiving Day, it started innocently enough. We were sick for about the gazillionth time this year, had already had a delicious Thanksgiving meal at a local Inn with family, and our little family turkey was all set up to go in the slow-cooker.
The exchange went something like this:
Me: I feel like working on a project!
IT Dad: Me too.
Me: Let's start cutting for the cabin bed!
IT Dad manned the table saw to cut some 2x4s into pieces we'd need per the plans from Ana and Jen. I managed to burn half of Canyon's nap trying to see if I could get a picture of dust flying off of the table saw. (I got it!!)
The details are hazy but somewhere also the way, between new Christmas traditions and train rides and all of the usual hustle and bustle, one of us decided that it would be best thing ever to reveal this thing to Canyon as a surprise on Christmas Day. And a nearly impossible timeline was born.
One of our requirements for new projects is that we build upon our skills in a new way. For this one, we made pocket holes with a Kreg Jig for the first time (correction, Dan did, grad school sucks). It was also the first time that we used thread inserts to make the bed easy to disassemble and reassemble.
This time around, we made very few changes to the plans mentioned. Most notably, we wanted a way to fill in the pocket holes that didn't involve purchasing fillers. (Yikes). Dan found an ingenious method off of YouTube that worked quite well.
Ana's plans also involve purchasing 1x6 but we made our own with the table saw to save $$. We also changed the size of the windows so that they were more square in appearance than rectangular. And we added stairs.
Of note, the breakfast table is a great place to cut dowels for fillers. There were almost 100.
With our timeline dwindling, we employed Canyon's help to make the roof by fooling him into thinking we were building a train track. Surprise still intact!
The Big Reveal!
With some teasing from Dan, I added lights and Christmas decorations for presentation and viola! It was right down to the wire, on "our" Christmas Eve (before travel to family) and, by george, we pulled it off! His little face when he saw it was absolutely worth all of the fuss.
While Ana's plans involve building the roof panels on the floor, we found it to be easier to assemble while mounted once the first and last boards were on. I was totally convinced that since this roof doesn't actually have to protect from the elements, that this roof would be relatively easy to assemble. Wrong! Don't be fooled.
Next up: the finish! But first we'll wait until the lovely pine smell diminishes. I wasn't anticipating writing this blog post about this project (thank you, flu, for inspiring this blog in its entirety!) but if you're reading this and have any questions, please reach out! We're happy to help!